ColdFusion 2021 "refreshed" installers available (with update 5)...but only in one place for now
Did you know about this? You'd be forgiven if you had not heard, for reasons I will explain. And I'm glad to share the news, though it's a good news/bad news sort of thing (just like with the update itself. More on that in another post to come.)
TLDR: these new "refreshed" CF2021 installers are (for now) available only here: here.
As for information ABOUT the refreshed installers, here's the news in brief (the good and the not so good):
- Good news: there is a new full installer for CF2021, for each of Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Solaris.
- Not good news: there are not new "zip" installers, at least for now.
- Good news: these "refreshed" installers includes update 5, so if you are installing CF2021 newly on a machine, that would be easier than getting an older installer and updating it.
- Not good news: the installer implements only Java 11.0.11, while the version available as of the release of update 5 last week was 184.108.40.206, from July 2022
- Some odd news: Adobe didn't mention the availability of this refreshed installer in the CF2021 update 5 technote, nor their blog post or forum post announcing update 5.
- The most odd news: again, the refreshed installers are only available for download from one place currently, the CF "downloads" page. More on that below.
- Bad news for those still using CF2018: while there was indeed the update 15 released also last week, Adobe has NOT offered such a refreshed installer for CF2018 and likely will not.
Read on for more.