[Looking for Charlie's main web site?]

How to disable the Asus NumberPad, embedded within touchpad on some modern laptops

Do you have a modern Asus laptop with the NumberPad feature (a virtual numeric keypad embedded within the touchpad)? You may know there's a button to enable/disable it on demand, but do you find find it coming on when you brush that by mistake? Are you annoyed that you can't find how to "permanently" disable it?

In this post, I show you how to do it (in a way I've not seen anyone else discuss, but which is quite simple), by removing its driver (NOT the touchpad's driver) from Windows Device Manager. See below for how to do that, or read more to understand the Numberpad feature and the problem that may prompt folks to seek how to disable it.

About the Feature

The feature is found on many modern Asus laptops whose keyboard lacks a full numeric keypad on the right. (I have it on a Zenbook, but I've read of it existing on Vivobook, Expertbook, Studiobook, and even ROG Strix and perhaps Tuf models.) It's a "virtual" numeric keypad within your touchpad that can be enabled optionally with a button in the top right of the touchpad. Asus calls the feature "NumberPad".

You can learn more about it at the Asus web site FAQ on the feature.

How to enable/disable it temporarily

Again, you simply tap the image (virtual button) on the top right of the touchpad to enable the display of the Numberpad. When you do, the numeric keyboard lights up within the touchpad, which is helpful for those who need to do numerical data entry, etc. Note that you can still use the touchpad for typical mouse movements and tapping, which is especially clever.

To disable the numberpad, you simply long-press the same image/virtual button, and the numberpad no longer appears.

The problem of accidentally enabling it

The problem is that it's very easy to brush that button to enable it. Granted, one can still use the touchpad for mouse movements, and to turn it off, again you just have to long-press the button. But it gets annoying if you find it happening often.

There doesn't seem any feature built-in to the hardware or any Asus software to disable the feature (or to reverse the button so that a long-press would enable it, and a short-press would disable it)

How to disable the Asus Numberpad "permanently"

Perhaps like me you don't really need a numeric keyboard at all, and so you may prefer to just disable the Numberpad permanently.

As I searched the web (and the Asus site) for any explanation of how to do that, I found many suggestions (see below.) But none (I could find proposed what I found to work.

Here's what did, using Windows Device Manager to remove the feature.

Of course, anytime you manipulate any system features you are taking a risk. I am simply sharing what worked for me. I cannot accept any responsibility for your taking the following actions

Here are the steps:

1. In the searchbox on the TaskBar, type device manager, and then select it from the Windows menu
  2. In the device manager interface, select Keyboards , then ASUS Number Pad
  3. Right-click that (as I point to with the second, red arrow), and choose "uninstall device"
    Don't worry that doing this will disable the entire touchpad. That is a separate "device" (see "Human Interface Devices" within Device Manager and its "ASUS Precision Touchpad" (as I note in the screenshot, with the first, green arrow). We will NOT remove that.
  4. A popup will appear, and you will WANT to check the option "Delete the driver software for this device", otherwise the removal will last only until a restart of the machine

How "permanent" is this solution?

You may notice that I put the words "permanently" in quotes in the section title and other references above. That's because it's possible that even though deleting the driver this way will indeed cause the feature to be removed even after a reboot of your laptop, it's possible that some future Windows, ASUS, or bios update may add the feature back. If so, you could just remove it again per the above steps.

Update Sadly, I must report that days after I posted this, I DID find that the numberpad had indeed re-enabled itself some days later (the button "worked" again and it appeared in device manager). I've been looking for still-more "permanent" ways to keep it uninstalled. If I find any, I will report it here.

It sure would be nice if Asus would just offer us a simple means to disable it, or to swap the behavior so that it takes a LONG-press to enable it and then a quick one to disable it.

Finally, a Linux user may wonder why I am showing only the solution for Windows. My understanding is that the Asus Numberpad feature is only available on Windows devices. If it ever is offered for Linux, the same concept (of removing the device from the OS) would apply.

"Solutions" that are NOT solutions

Before wrapping up this post, I want to share what are NOT solutions.

As I went seeking a solution, I found many resources on the web where others wanting to disable this feature went looking and asking about how to do it. Before anyone reading this post may want to propose these various "solutions", I want to clarify here that these do NOT solve the problem:

• First, many folks trying to "help" point out how (as I discuss above) you can "just click the button on the top right of the keyboard", but the issue is that that's not permanent
    • Again, some of us just want to disable it permanently, never needing a numeric keypad (or perhaps having an external one or external keyboard)
  • Next, many folks truing to "help" confuse the discussion with instead another feature available in some other keyboards: an embedded numeric keypad WITHIN THE MAIN KEYBOARD (such as discussed here) or perhaps even the numeric keypad on the right of many keyboards
    • And of course those sort of numeric keyboards can be disabled by clicking the numlock key (or perhaps fn-numlock)
    • But the Asus laptops with this NumberPad discussed here (embedded in the touchpad) do not HAVE such a numlock at all, so that's not the solution
  • Then some point out how of course one can disable the entire touchpad, such as with a hotkey on the keyboard like f6 or fn-f6
    • But again that's not the "solution" to disabling the Numberpad feature, as someone may STILL want to use the touchpad otherwise
  • Some folks helpfully point out how an autohotkey script can disable the numlock key on any keyboard (and perhaps even an internal "virtual" one as this Numberpad might be considered)
    • And this solution may well work, but some folks (including myself) may not want to bother with installing or relying on such software, especially if only for this one problem--and perhaps all the more if the solution I've offered above (relying on no installation of any software) may suffice

So I hope that you find that this solution above works for you, as it has for me. If not, or if you have another idea or feedback, please comment below.

For more content like this from Charlie Arehart: Need more help with problems?
  • If you may prefer direct help, rather than digging around here/elsewhere or via comments, he can help via his online consulting services
  • See that page for more on how he can help a) over the web, safely and securely, b) usually very quickly, c) teaching you along the way, and d) with satisfaction guaranteed
Comments
This tweak worked like a charm. I bought a VivoBook a few weeks ago and the number pad would turn on and often not turn off even after pressing the virtual button numerous times, and rebooting. It made typing a nuisance. Even if Windows updates reinstalls the drivers you have saved me a lot of trouble.
# Posted By Robert Borgen | 1/24/21 6:25 PM
Sweet. Glad to help. Hope we may learn of a permanent way to disable it.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/24/21 6:29 PM
Thanks for your work on this - gave me hope! As you say, removing the driver only works for a few days... But one of the comments you made about the other methods that don't work gave me an idea. Microsoft has this free app called Powertoys which I use (sits in the tray). In it is a 'keyboard manager' which can re-map keys. I normally use this to re-map the Caps Lock key (which I find screws me up about as often as the Asus keypad!) to the ordinary Shift key. So I thought I'd tap the virtual button on the track pad as if it were a key. And it comes up with NumLock! So I remapped it to Shift and, yes, the virtual button is disabled.
If you have PowerToys enabled on boot it remembers the remapping.
It's also easy to undo if you want to use the keypad some time...
# Posted By rmzetti | 1/28/21 3:49 AM
Thanks, rmzetti. And yep, that was the last point I'd made, where others had used options for that (remapping the numlock) that seemed a bit more convoluted (personal opinion).

But I'll give the power toys a shot, as others may want to. Anything more permanent will be such a relief.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/28/21 7:49 AM
Sweet, that has worked (so far, at least). I will say that some may find the powertoys install a little heavyweight, but it's worth it for the relief.

FWIW, I tried also to use other approaches to disable numlock (setting a certain regkey to 0), but it did not disable that numpad like the powertoys did. Again, thanks.

Still open to other ideas any readers may have.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/28/21 10:40 PM
What I really want to disable is the calculator gesture. I bring up that thing all the time just from resting my hands on the keyboard. The PowerToys remap doesn't work on it. Any ideas appreciated.
# Posted By lynn | 2/2/21 6:59 PM
Lynn, are you referring to something different from the embedded number pad in the trackpad? If so, what "gesture" causes it, and what comes up upon that gesture? Just trying to assess how close that is to what I'm describing.

And have you considered all the options here, in the post and I comments?
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/2/21 7:06 PM
I bought a VivoBook a few weeks ago and I do not know if it is a defect in the laptop or it is normal even though I do not use the laptop Numberpad activates itself and turns on and off without interruption.
# Posted By Gent | 2/3/21 6:59 PM
You mean like it's just blinking of and off? That would be terrible. Try removing the driver, like I said. See why happens.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/3/21 7:02 PM
Thanks for the fix! I recently purchased a ROG Strix G15 and this was one of the many issues making me regret blowing thousands on this piece of ****

Next up: disabling the RGB during sleep/standby and stopping the screen from pressing the power key every time I close the **** thing :"(
# Posted By Dr. A. Seuss | 2/14/21 2:10 AM
Hi Charlie, thanks for trying to figure this out. I use my Zenbook primarily to write and so find this an incredibly annoying bug - the numpad is very bright and if I don't disable it, it will flash in my several times a day, breaking my flow and concentration. I also got as far as deleting and uninstalling the driver only discover with despair that the damn thing returns everytime I restart my machine. As a result I currently go to the device manager every single day to uninstall it, which is a monumentally inefficient use of my time. It's enough to make me warn everyone considering a Zenbook to choose something else! If you do find a permanent solution, I'll be absolutely delighted - it seems crazy that Asus have made it impossible to just turn the thing permanently off. Good luck!
# Posted By Toby Hill | 2/15/21 11:59 AM
Thank you so much. This has been driving me 'round the twist for months and slowing down my work. So grateful!
# Posted By TS | 2/20/21 3:20 AM
To the last 3 commenters...

TS, glad to have helped.

Toby, try using a free key mapper, as suggested by others like I'd noted in the post (which I'd hoped to avoid, but could not). I will update the post to say I've since tried first power toys, then my favorite (and more targeted tool), sharpkeys. With it, I easily mapped the numlock key to act like a shift key instead. That leads to the numpad "button" on the keypad merely beeping when pressed, but having no other effect. And since the tool runs at startup, it's indeed permanent. And oh, what a relief it is! Google sharpkeys to find it and info on using it.

Finally, Dr Seuss: hit the Windows key and type power. You will see windows features for controlling things like whether the display (rgb) goes to sleep and whether hitting the power button does that or not. Let us know how that goes.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/20/21 5:55 AM
To Dr Seuss: on rereading your comment, I realize now your problems may be different from what I assumed. I suspect I won't have any good suggestion for those troubles. Sorry.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/20/21 6:04 AM
Ended up creating small project to disable NumPad https://github.com/n... .. does basically same as PowerToys but is 7kb only :)
# Posted By noxo | 2/23/21 11:33 AM
Wonderful, Noxo. Thanks, for both the code and the news, as well as the shout out in the repo.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/24/21 6:33 PM
Hi...i have a asus vivobook s14 s433jq that number pad turn on and turn off accidently And disrupts the performance of the touchpad .Does anyone have this problem? Is there a solution?
# Posted By Ali | 2/28/21 12:54 PM
Is yours like the one I show in the picture above? If so, several solutions are offered in my post and comments here.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/28/21 12:56 PM
Yes, it looks like this, but using these solutions, the number pad will not turn on, but the touchpad will still have problems. Of course, this happens sometimes and not always
# Posted By Ali | 3/1/21 1:10 PM
Your problem sounds unique. To be clear, no one else here has reported a problem with their touchad, once they had disabled the number pad using any of the solutions.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/1/21 9:43 PM