[Looking for Charlie's main web site?]

How to disable the Asus NumberPad, embedded within touchpad on some modern laptops

Do you have a modern Asus laptop with the NumberPad (orNumPad) feature (a virtual numeric keypad embedded within the touchpad)? You may know there's a button to enable/disable it on demand, but do you find find it coming on when you brush that by mistake? Are you annoyed that you can't find how to "permanently" disable it?

In this post, I discuss ways to try to do it. There are various ones. Removing the numberpad driver (NOT the touchpad's driver) from Windows Device Manager seemed at first the best way, but it proved to be temporary. Someone later proposed how to removed it permanently.

See below for how to do that if you may prefer to cut to the chase, but first let me help readers understand what I mean by the Numberpad feature, and the problem that may prompt folks to seek how to disable it. Then I discuss other solutions that had been proposed but did not work. Then I conclude with what has, for me (so far).

About the Feature

First, let's talk about the NumPad feature itself, for context.

The feature is found on many modern Asus laptops whose keyboard lacks a full numeric keypad on the right. (I have it on a ZenBook, but I've read of it existing on VivoBook, ExpertBook, StudioBook, and even ROG Strix and perhaps Tuf models--though I also have one each of those and they do NOT have it.) See the image provided here.

It's a "virtual" numeric keypad within your touchpad that can be enabled optionally with a button in the top right of the touchpad. Asus calls the feature "NumberPad". You can learn more about it at the Asus web site FAQ on the feature.

How to enable/disable it on-demand

It's designed so that you can use it when you want, and then disable it. You simply tap the icon (a virtual button) on the top right of the touchpad to enable/disable the display of the Numberpad. When you enable it, the numeric keyboard lights up within the touchpad, which is helpful for those who need to do numerical data entry, etc.

Note that even when the numpad is enabled, you can still use the touchpad for typical mouse movements and tapping, which is especially clever. But some folks find the touchpad mouse movements to NOT be as good an experience as when this feature is DISABLED.

Again, to disable the numberpad, you simply long-press the same image/virtual button, and the numberpad no longer appears.

The problem of accidentally enabling it

The problem is that it's very easy to brush that button to enable it. Granted, to turn it off, you just have to long-press the button. But it gets annoying if you find it happening often.

The annoyance is that there doesn't seem any feature built-in to the hardware or any Asus software to disable the feature.

Trying to disable the Asus Numberpad "permanently"

Perhaps like me you don't really need a numeric keyboard at all, and so you may prefer to just disable the Numberpad permanently. (Perhaps you bought the machine not for that feature but for other features of the machine.)

As I searched the web (and the Asus site) for any explanation of how to permanently disable it, I found various suggestions (see below.) But none worked well for me, or didn't work permanently.

And when I first wrote this post, I shared my first attempted solution which I THOUGHT would be permanent...

My first attempt: remove it from Device Manager

Here's what I shared here first: using Windows Device Manager to remove the feature. I thought it was the best solution, but it turned out that on a Windows update the feature was restored.

I leave that manual approach here for posterity, but most folk will want to try a more permanent fix, below (and which doesn't require you make these manual Device Manager changes).

Of course, anytime you manipulate any system features you are taking a risk. I am simply sharing what worked for me. I cannot accept any responsibility for your taking the following actions

Here are the steps:

1. In the searchbox on the TaskBar, type device manager, and then select it from the Windows menu
  2. In the device manager interface, select Keyboards , then ASUS Number Pad
  3. Right-click that (as I point to with the second, red arrow), and choose "uninstall device"
    Don't worry that doing this will disable the entire touchpad. That is a separate "device" (see "Human Interface Devices" within Device Manager and its "ASUS Precision Touchpad" (as I note in the screenshot, with the first, green arrow). We will NOT remove that.
  4. A popup will appear, and you will WANT to check the option "Delete the driver software for this device", otherwise the removal will last only until a restart of the machine

How "permanent" is this solution?

You may notice that I put the words "permanently" in quotes in the section title and other references above. That's because it's possible that even though deleting the driver this way will indeed cause the feature to be removed even after a reboot of your laptop, it's possible that some future Windows, ASUS, or bios update may add the feature back. If so, you could just remove it again per the above steps.

Update Sadly, I must report that days after I posted this, I DID find that the numberpad had indeed re-enabled itself some days later (the button "worked" again and it appeared in device manager). I've been looking for still-more "permanent" ways to keep it uninstalled. If I find any, I will report it here.

But thankfully someone shared a comment with a solution that did really work. See the section after the next.

"Solutions" that are NOT solutions

As I went seeking a solution, I found many resources on the web where others wanting to disable this feature went looking and asking about how to do it. Before anyone reading this post may want to propose these various "solutions", I want to clarify here first ones that definitely do NOT solve the problem:

• First, many folks trying to "help" point out how (as I discuss above) you can "just click the button on the top right of the keyboard", but the issue is that that's not permanent
    • Again, some of us just want to disable it permanently, never needing a numeric keypad (or perhaps having an external one or external keyboard)
  • Next, many folks trying to "help" confuse the discussion with instead another feature available in some other keyboards: an embedded numeric keypad WITHIN THE MAIN KEYBOARD (such as discussed here) or perhaps even the numeric keypad on the right of many keyboards
    • And of course those sort of numeric keyboards can be disabled by clicking the numlock key (or perhaps fn-numlock)
    • But the Asus laptops with this NumberPad discussed here (embedded in the touchpad) do not HAVE such a numlock at all, so that's not the solution
  • Then some point out how of course one can disable the entire touchpad, such as with a hotkey on the keyboard like f6 or fn-f6
    • But again that's not the "solution" to disabling the Numberpad feature, as someone may STILL want to use the touchpad otherwise

A solution that might suit some readers

Some folks had helpfully point out (elsewhere and in comments below) how an autohotkey script could disable the numlock key on any keyboard (and perhaps even an internal "virtual" one as this Numberpad might be considered).

See such tools as autohotkey, powertoys, sharpkeys, and more (including some mentioned in comments below).

And such a solution may well work for you, but some readers (myself included) may not want to bother with installing or relying on such software, especially if only for this one problem--and perhaps all the more if the solution I offer below (relying on no installation of any software) may suffice for them.

What's worked for me: a scheduled task to remove the numpad driver on startup

This may sound like a cumbersome solution, but it works and takes just a few steps to implement. See the comment below from "Forrest Gump".

I did it, after finding that my previous attempts (removing it manually, then later trying PowerToys and Sharpkeys, just did not suffice.)

And I have to admit that I may well come back here and modify the post to report that even this solution did not prove to work long-term. But I can't see why it won't. So thanks, Forrest! :-)

Summary

I hope that you find that this solution above works for you, as it has for me.

But it sure would be nice if Asus would just offer us a simple means to disable it, or to swap the behavior so that it takes a LONG-press to enable it and then a quick one to disable it. From the number of people annoyed by this feature, either option would seem a great future improvement.

Finally, a Linux user may wonder why I am showing only the solution for Windows. My understanding is that the Asus Numberpad feature is only available on Windows devices. If it ever is offered for Linux, the same concept (of removing the device from the OS) would apply.

If you have another idea or feedback, please comment below.

For more content like this from Charlie Arehart: Need more help with problems?
  • If you may prefer direct help, rather than digging around here/elsewhere or via comments, he can help via his online consulting services
  • See that page for more on how he can help a) over the web, safely and securely, b) usually very quickly, c) teaching you along the way, and d) with satisfaction guaranteed
Comments
This tweak worked like a charm. I bought a VivoBook a few weeks ago and the number pad would turn on and often not turn off even after pressing the virtual button numerous times, and rebooting. It made typing a nuisance. Even if Windows updates reinstalls the drivers you have saved me a lot of trouble.
# Posted By Robert Borgen | 1/24/21 6:25 PM
Sweet. Glad to help. Hope we may learn of a permanent way to disable it.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/24/21 6:29 PM
Thanks for your work on this - gave me hope! As you say, removing the driver only works for a few days... But one of the comments you made about the other methods that don't work gave me an idea. Microsoft has this free app called Powertoys which I use (sits in the tray). In it is a 'keyboard manager' which can re-map keys. I normally use this to re-map the Caps Lock key (which I find screws me up about as often as the Asus keypad!) to the ordinary Shift key. So I thought I'd tap the virtual button on the track pad as if it were a key. And it comes up with NumLock! So I remapped it to Shift and, yes, the virtual button is disabled.
If you have PowerToys enabled on boot it remembers the remapping.
It's also easy to undo if you want to use the keypad some time...
# Posted By rmzetti | 1/28/21 3:49 AM
Thanks, rmzetti. And yep, that was the last point I'd made, where others had used options for that (remapping the numlock) that seemed a bit more convoluted (personal opinion).

But I'll give the power toys a shot, as others may want to. Anything more permanent will be such a relief.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/28/21 7:49 AM
Sweet, that has worked (so far, at least). I will say that some may find the powertoys install a little heavyweight, but it's worth it for the relief.

FWIW, I tried also to use other approaches to disable numlock (setting a certain regkey to 0), but it did not disable that numpad like the powertoys did. Again, thanks.

Still open to other ideas any readers may have.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 1/28/21 10:40 PM
What I really want to disable is the calculator gesture. I bring up that thing all the time just from resting my hands on the keyboard. The PowerToys remap doesn't work on it. Any ideas appreciated.
# Posted By lynn | 2/2/21 6:59 PM
Lynn, are you referring to something different from the embedded number pad in the trackpad? If so, what "gesture" causes it, and what comes up upon that gesture? Just trying to assess how close that is to what I'm describing.

And have you considered all the options here, in the post and I comments?
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/2/21 7:06 PM
I bought a VivoBook a few weeks ago and I do not know if it is a defect in the laptop or it is normal even though I do not use the laptop Numberpad activates itself and turns on and off without interruption.
# Posted By Gent | 2/3/21 6:59 PM
You mean like it's just blinking of and off? That would be terrible. Try removing the driver, like I said. See why happens.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/3/21 7:02 PM
Thanks for the fix! I recently purchased a ROG Strix G15 and this was one of the many issues making me regret blowing thousands on this piece of ****

Next up: disabling the RGB during sleep/standby and stopping the screen from pressing the power key every time I close the **** thing :"(
# Posted By Dr. A. Seuss | 2/14/21 2:10 AM
Hi Charlie, thanks for trying to figure this out. I use my Zenbook primarily to write and so find this an incredibly annoying bug - the numpad is very bright and if I don't disable it, it will flash in my several times a day, breaking my flow and concentration. I also got as far as deleting and uninstalling the driver only discover with despair that the damn thing returns everytime I restart my machine. As a result I currently go to the device manager every single day to uninstall it, which is a monumentally inefficient use of my time. It's enough to make me warn everyone considering a Zenbook to choose something else! If you do find a permanent solution, I'll be absolutely delighted - it seems crazy that Asus have made it impossible to just turn the thing permanently off. Good luck!
# Posted By Toby Hill | 2/15/21 11:59 AM
Thank you so much. This has been driving me 'round the twist for months and slowing down my work. So grateful!
# Posted By TS | 2/20/21 3:20 AM
To the last 3 commenters...

TS, glad to have helped.

Toby, try using a free key mapper, as suggested by others like I'd noted in the post (which I'd hoped to avoid, but could not). I will update the post to say I've since tried first power toys, then my favorite (and more targeted tool), sharpkeys. With it, I easily mapped the numlock key to act like a shift key instead. That leads to the numpad "button" on the keypad merely beeping when pressed, but having no other effect. And since the tool runs at startup, it's indeed permanent. And oh, what a relief it is! Google sharpkeys to find it and info on using it.

Finally, Dr Seuss: hit the Windows key and type power. You will see windows features for controlling things like whether the display (rgb) goes to sleep and whether hitting the power button does that or not. Let us know how that goes.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/20/21 5:55 AM
To Dr Seuss: on rereading your comment, I realize now your problems may be different from what I assumed. I suspect I won't have any good suggestion for those troubles. Sorry.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/20/21 6:04 AM
Ended up creating small project to disable NumPad https://github.com/n... .. does basically same as PowerToys but is 7kb only :)
# Posted By noxo | 2/23/21 11:33 AM
Wonderful, Noxo. Thanks, for both the code and the news, as well as the shout out in the repo.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/24/21 6:33 PM
Hi...i have a asus vivobook s14 s433jq that number pad turn on and turn off accidently And disrupts the performance of the touchpad .Does anyone have this problem? Is there a solution?
# Posted By Ali | 2/28/21 12:54 PM
Is yours like the one I show in the picture above? If so, several solutions are offered in my post and comments here.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 2/28/21 12:56 PM
Yes, it looks like this, but using these solutions, the number pad will not turn on, but the touchpad will still have problems. Of course, this happens sometimes and not always
# Posted By Ali | 3/1/21 1:10 PM
Your problem sounds unique. To be clear, no one else here has reported a problem with their touchad, once they had disabled the number pad using any of the solutions.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/1/21 9:43 PM
Hi,
I installed PowerToys and it seems that it keeps this nasty NumPad functionality disabled. It´s a good integration idea, but Asus should fix it with a key solely to get it activated. My daughter was becoming desperate...
Thanks a lot for your perfect description on the solution.
LG,sims
# Posted By sims | 3/12/21 2:56 PM
This is very strange. I saw a similar problem on reddit where your page was suggested. However, the number pad still turns on and off, disrupting the touchpad, causing it to lag and jump. I also put the reddit link below, which had the same problem as mine. https://www.reddit.c...
# Posted By Ali | 3/14/21 3:48 PM
[See Forrest's corrected comment below.]
# Posted By forrest gump | 3/17/21 7:04 PM
Good Idea. Thanks for sharing it. With all these ideas, people should be able to find SOME solution that works for them. :-)
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/17/21 7:16 PM
I'm sorry, there was a mistake and something missing in my previous post but I cannot find a way to edit it so I'm reposting with corrections (you can delete the previous post).

Thanks for the post.
For me the SharpKeys solution didn't work on an Asus E410M laptop (it didn't had any effect after key remapping and restart).

However I've manage to find a permanent solution that does work based on your original non-permanent suggestion to uninstall the device.
It entails simply creating a task that runs at startup as admin and uninstall the device from the command line. These are the steps:

1) Get the instance id of the device: Devices Manager -> Keyboards -> [right click on device] -> Properties -> Details -> Device Instance Path. You can right-click to copy that "path" (more like an ID) to the clipboard.

2) Create a new task (make sure to use the instance id from stage 1 where it says <instance_id_from_stage_1>):
Task Scheduler -> Create Task (not "Create Basic Task"):
a) On the General tab:
aa) Name [ fill ]
ab) Run whether user is logged on or not [ check ]
ac) Do not store password ... [ check ]
ad) Run with highest privileges [ check ]
ae) Configure for [ Windows 10 ]
b) On the Triggers tab -> New... -> Begin the task [ At startup ]
c) On the Actions tab -> New... -> Program/script [ %windir%\System32\pnputil.exe /remove-device "<instance_id_from_stage_1>" ]
d) On the Conditions tab -> Start the task only if the computer is on AC power [uncheck]

I hope it's understandable.
Cheers,
# Posted By forrest gump | 3/17/21 7:37 PM
Thanks for that update. I have edited your previous comment, pointing to the newer one.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/17/21 7:43 PM
I am experiencing the same problem on my Vivo S14
# Posted By Clint | 3/18/21 5:48 AM
Clint, which problem? That discussed in my post? Or something reported in one of the comments? If the latter, which one? And what you mean in reporting it?

Or are you simply identifying another laptop model that has the numpad? If so, did you try any of the many solutions offered here and in the comments?
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/18/21 7:34 AM
Forrest, I have to say that your suggestion here on Mar 17 2021 seems to be the best solution for me so far.

For those who had not noticed it, he shows the steps to create a Windows scheduled task to remove the numpad driver on each restart. That solves the problem of my first proposal (removing the driver, which would just return on a Windows update.)

And though I had had good luck at first with the Sharpkeys approach, it proved not to work out well in the long-run (like my attempt with the Powertoys suggested by rmzetti).

(I have to say I never tried Noxo's free script on github--see his comment on Feb 23 2021--as it involves building code via MS Visual Studio. It may well suit other readers. And if somehow Forrest's solution doesn't work out long-term, I may have to give Noxo's a go.)

I have updated the blog post to point to Forrest's as my current preferred approach. And Forrest, I tweaked your comment just a bit to make a couple of minute clarifications that may help those who don't often create new Windows Scheduled Tasks. Again, thanks for the steps, which I fully credit you for!
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 3/28/21 8:51 PM
I had a few issues with forrest gump's solution, where if I plugged in any USB device, the numpad driver would also re-install. The solution was setting the scheduled task to trigger on event Log - Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Device Configuration, Source: Kernel-Pnp, Event ID: 400, as that's one of the events that is triggered whenever the numpad driver is configured/started. I would still like a solution where the driver is disabled permanently, so that my windows wouldn't have to reinstall/delete the driver every time I plug an USB, but it works for now.
# Posted By Anonymous | 4/3/21 5:30 PM
Ah, good point. Thanks for sharing both the problem and a solution. And agree on wishing Asus would save us from all this messing about.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 4/4/21 6:11 AM
Just to add a point of clarification about Forrest Gump's helpful suggestion of a Windows Scheduled Task (run at startup), I found over time that somehow something RE-ENABLED the bloody numpad EVEN AFTER a startup. Wow, it's like the Terminator...it "absolutely will not stop". But like Sarah Connor, we're not giving up.

Here's the thing: in this case, you can just run the task again, manually. (That might be obvious to some, but others might not be so familiar with Windows scheduled tasks.)

First, click the numpad button if it's on, to turn it off (because once we do the next step, that feature will be disabled.)

Then open the Windows Scheduler (click the Windows key in the bottom left corner and type the word scheduler to find Task Scheduler). Then in the UI that opens, select the "task scheduler library" on the top left, then in the list of tasks find the one you created (per Forrest's comment).

Right-click it and choose "run". That will do its thing instantly (to remove the device driver, again as discussed in Forrest's comment), right then and there, and your .

Frustrating that we should have to this (on top of the initial removal), but at least it works.

(And if you may find you have dozens of tasks in the Windows Scheduler and can't find or remember what you called it, sort by "next run time". This task won't have one, so should appear in a group of such tasks at the top of the list.)

To summarize: my initial blog post suggested a way to remove the device driver...but over time (perhaps multiple Windows restarts, perhaps due to updates), something would re-enable it. Forrest's suggestion went a step further, and ensured that ON EACH STARTUP the device driver would be removed.

Then my comment here is pointing out that whatever re-enables it can seemingly do it AFTER you have started up Windows (and AFTER Forrest's scheduled task has run on startup). Maybe it's that some Windows (or ASUS) updates are of a sort that can cause this driver to be re-enabled but without requiring a Windows restart. In that case, running the task will solve it.

Finally, perhaps someone (Forrest?) will do some digging and find that there is a way to trigger a task ON THE RE-ENABLING of the driver. Again, just shocking that we have to work so hard to "terminate" it, but we're nearly there.

Hoping instead ASUS will come out with an option to let us disable the feature once and for all.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 4/9/21 10:35 AM