An interesting pair of anniversaries for my blog: 600 posts, over 17 years this month
I also noticed that it marks my 17th year of blogging here, almost to the day with my first entry posted this same week back then, Apr 15 2006. That's "pretty darn interesting", as Ray Camden might say.
FWIW, I'd also blogged elsewhere--yes, on CF--prior to starting this one. And the first of those posts were in early 1998--so technically it's my 25th anniversary of blogging about CF. :-)
But about that dated site layout...
Yes, yes. Some will want to point out that the blog still LOOKS like one from 2006. I do apologize. I've dragged my feet improving it...though it's not for lack of ANY effort.
Update: Since writing this post last week, I did spend several hours this past weekend cleaning up quite a few aspects. OK, so maybe it's not looking like from 2006 anymore. Perhaps 2015? :-) At least it's MUCH more readable on mobile--and also even a bit more readable and pleasant to the eyes on desktop as well. With some newfound appreciation of how to go about improving things, I hope to revisit/refine things even further in time. Now, back to what I had written originally.
I should note that others have kindly offered to help over the years:
- First, both Blue River and Ortus folks tried to convert it to Mura (a dozen years ago) and Contentbox (several years ago) respectively, but in each case certain aspects of the blog or site couldn't quite be converted successfully.
- A couple of years ago, Gregory Alexander of Galaxie Blog also gave it a shot, as he developed that blog software--a fork of Ray's legendary BlogCFC, which this site was built on. I didn't quite grok it and its layout mechanism, so I never made that move.
- Then more recently Scott Steinbeck offered a new layout and prototype. That happened to be at a time when I was just overwhelmed so I've not implemented it, though I'm still open to it!
I do sincerely appreciate the efforts of all those folks!
Here's hoping "content is king"
Still, content is king, right? I've plugged on with sharing the info I do regardless of the look and feel knowing that people could at least find it if they sought it. I realize the blog especially is pathetic on mobile (though it's better for the main site). I do hope to address that at least, if not a full redesign.
There's certainly a lot better ways to offer blogs--but a challenge is keeping things so that old links (scattered throughout the web and my own site) can redirect successfully with any new blog's link setup.
Anyway, my main point here was to celebrate the accomplishment rather than dwell on what's lacking. I hope some of you will join me in enjoying that more positive aspect! :-)
And I don't know if I should say, "and here's to 17 more years", but hey, it's possible!
For more content like this from Charlie Arehart:
Need more help with problems?
- Signup to get his blog posts by email:
- Follow his blog RSS feed
- View the rest of his blog posts
- View his blog posts on the Adobe CF portal
- If you may prefer direct help, rather than digging around here/elsewhere or via comments, he can help via his online consulting services
- See that page for more on how he can help a) over the web, safely and securely, b) usually very quickly, c) teaching you along the way, and d) with satisfaction guaranteed
I remain very glad to be serving the cf/cfml community, and it's great that we have both legendary and classics-in-the-making here to help propel CF for years to come, hopefully many for those of us who still enjoy working with it!