Note: This blog post is from 2007. Some content may be outdated--though not necessarily. Same with links and subsequent comments from myself or others. Corrections are welcome, in the comments. And I may revise the content as necessary.
Are you aware of all the changes that have been made in the CF Admin as of CF8? You may have seen mentions of little changes in CF8 (indeed, I've done a full hour user group talk on hidden gems), and while I mention some changes in the CF8 Admin (as I or others have noticed them), I've not seen any definitive list (from Adobe or the community) of all the changes (small and large) that might have occurred in the CF Admin interface. I figured I'd take up that challenge.
I've gone through and compared the CF Admin between 7.02 admin 8, and found changes that reflect:
- new major features you've probably heard about (whether to enable "per app settings"; limits on the number of cfthread threads; options to enable/control the new interactive step debugger; support of the new Server monitor; support of per-user access to the Admin and RDS)
- new minor features you may have missed (options to "disable CFC type check" and "disable access to internal CF java components"; options to limit the number of simultaneous requests from Flash Remoting and web services clients and CFC methods called from a URL; options to set request queue timeouts and set jrun request limits; new options to control mail server authentication; new db drivers; new option to log activity on enterprise databases; new option to perform a validation query when a connection from the pool is first used/reused; new ajax debugger window; ability to pause a scheduled task; 3 new flex-based gateways; minor additions in CAR file creation)
- realignment of related settings (request tuning settings)
- renaming of various pages and settings
Here are all the changes I could find, discussed per page:
A. Server Settings Section
- "Maximum number of simultaneous requests", "Maximum number of report threads", moved to new Request Tuning Page
- "Maximum size of post data" moved to bottom of this same page
- New "Enable Per App Settings", "Disable CFC Type Check", "Disable access to internal ColdFusion Java components", and "Watch configuration files for changes" (latter for WebSphere ND)
- (Enterprise only) Besides holding the "Maximum number of simultaneous requests" setting (renamed here in CF8 as "Template" requests) moved from the old Settings page, this page now permits setting limits on number of simultaneous requests from flash remoting and web service clients, as well as CFC function requests (not calls to CFC methods from CFML but those made via a URL, such as from a browser or Ajax client, etc, when not using ?wsdl)
- Besides holding the "Maximum number of simultaneous report threads" setting (renamed here in CF8 to add "simultaneous") moved from the old Settings page, this page also permits setting limits on number of simultaneous CFTHREAD threads
- (Enterprise only) Page adds 2 new "Queue Timeout" settings
- (Enterprise only) Page adds 2 new "JRun Master Request" limits
- New Username and password fields to hold SMTP server authentication info (previously, had to know how to add it to the mail server name using username@password:servername in the mail server field). Use of password field offers protection of password from someone watching over your shoulder.
- New "Connection Timeout" and "Enable SSL Socket connections to mail server" and "Enable TLS connection to mail server" options, each permitting greater security and control over authentication to SMTP servers (particularly Google mail servers)
B. Data & Services Section
Data Sources Page
- New driver types: "Apache Derby Client", "Apache Derby Embedded", to support the newly available Apache Derby database, and "MySQL 4/5" (in addition to existing MySQL 3) and "PostgreSQL"
- In "Advanced Settings", new "Log Activity" option (to log database activity to DB) for Enterprise drivers (SQL Server, Oracle, Informix, Sybase, and DB2).
- In "Advanced Settings", new "Validation Query" option (called when a connection from the pool is reused), available for use with all driver types
Verity K2 Server PageIn "Advanced Settings", new option to enter K2 Admin Username and Password.
C. Debugging & Logging Section
Debugging Output Page
- Page name changed from just "Debugging Settings" (due to addition of new "Debugger Settings" page listed below).
- New "Enable AJAX Debug Log Window" option, which allows display of the AJAX debug log window when the cfdebug flag is passed in the URL (also relies on IP address settings to control who sees this)
- "Enable Debugging" option renamed to "Enable Request Debugging Output"
New Debugger Settings PageEnable, configure, and control interactive step debugger in Eclipse.
Scheduled Tasks PageNew option to pause a given scheduled task (new button in list of buttons to left of each scheduled task)
Systems Probes PageField for "Notifications Sent From" renamed to simply "E-mail".
Code Analyzer PageChanged to list CF8 tags and functions in "Advanced Options" page.
D. New Server Monitoring Section
(Enterprise only) Offers links to the new Server Monitor and Multiserver Monitor.
E. Event Gateways Section (used to be Enterprise-only)
Gateway Types Page
New Flex-based gateways: "DataManagement", "DataServicesMessaging", "FMS"
F. Security Section
Administrator Page (renamed from "CF Admin Password" page)
(Enterprise ony) Offers new interface to use either a single Admin password (as before), or separate username/password (per authorized admin user, as enabled in new "User Manager" page listed below), or no password required at all
RDS Page (renamed from "RDS Password" page)
(Enterprise only) Offers new interface to use either a single RDS password (as before), or separate username/password (per authorized RDS user, as enabled in new "User Manager" page listed below), or no password required at all
Security Sandbox/Resource Security Page"CF Tags" and "CF Functions" tabs for adding/editing a sandbox have been changed to list CF8 tags and functions.
New User Manager Page(Enterprise only) Enables adding users who should be given access to either RDS, CF Admin, or Admin API functionality.
G. (Enterprise only) Packaging & Deployment Section
ColdFusion Archives PageWhen adding/editing an archive, the popup window that is shown offers several sections, and the following changes have been observed:
- Server Settings: "Locking" section has been removed, while "Watcher Settings", "Server Monitor Settings", and "System Probes" have been added
- New "Web Services" settings page, with provided "pre-restore" and "post-restore" lists
(Enterprise only) J2EE Archives PageWhen adding/editing an archive, there is a new "Previous Serial Number (if upgrade)" option.
Where to learn more
To find out more about these changes, see the online help available in the CF Admin, available on each admin page.
Or see the ColdFusion documentation manual, "Administering and Configuring ColdFusion 8", available at CF docs page.
I realize that some reading this will be moving from CF 6, 6.1, 7, or 7.01. I'm afraid I can't detail here all the changes between those releases. I have, however, got a day-long class I offered at CFUnited on "New in CFMX 6/7: What you may have missed", where I do outline changes in each of those releases (and intervening updaters). If you're interested in taking that class, drop me a note or leave a comment here. I am thinking of offering it as an online class (and plan to do the same regarding all changes in CF8--outside of the Admin). Hope all this helps others.
For more content like this from Charlie Arehart:
Need more help with problems?
- Signup to get his blog posts by email:
- Follow his blog RSS feed
- View the rest of his blog posts
- View his blog posts on the Adobe CF portal
- If you may prefer direct help, rather than digging around here/elsewhere or via comments, he can help via his online consulting services
- See that page for more on how he can help a) over the web, safely and securely, b) usually very quickly, c) teaching you along the way, and d) with satisfaction guaranteed