UGTV - View recorded usergroup presentations
Intro | List Recordings | Add a Recording | Other Lists of Recordings
by hundreds of your favorite presenters
The UGTV site holds links to recordings from user group speakers all over the world (primarily on ColdFusion but also other Adobe topics. More on the intro page.) While it's offered as a free service by Charlie Arehart and carehart.org, anyone can add links using this easy form. If you're looking for downloadable recordings, see the note at bottom here.
The list currently holds 747 presentations from 338 presenters, totaling 816+ hours of video, that I and 67 others have added so far. (Note available RSS feed below, including an available feed based on search criteria.)
Look for this interface to improve over time......including categorizing (vital as more are added), perhaps using Flex or Ajax. Additionally, I'd like to offer the option to capture more details about each presentation as well as to add a mechanism for viewers to share comments with each other on each presentation.
If you have other ideas, let me know at charlie (at) carehart.org.
About "no description"If there's "no description available", it's just that the submitter didn't offer one. It could be that there simply was none they could offer, or they didn't know where to find one. I don't want to hamper people submitting presentations by forcing them to come up with descriptions. The field is there if they have one to offer. In the future, I'll enable a mechanism for folks to offer comments on each presentation, and from those I would gladly update the description (or allow the submitter to). \
Looking for downloadable versions?Nope, sorry. I'm afraid I have no control whatsoever of the recordings themselves (at least most of them). The UGTV is just a repository of links to the recordings (that can be posted here by anyone at all). I do not host the recordings. I only offer a place to point to them in an organized fashion.
More important, by far most are Adobe Connect recordings which are streamed from Adobe, and they cannot be downloaded by viewers at all (through any interface offered in the streaming player Adobe provides.)
Now, they could be made available as downloadable, if the person who made the recording (typically a user group manager) wanted to. The Adobe Connect admin interface does allow the owner of a recording to create a downloadable version (as an .flv file only), but there are still several challenges to that:
- in order to create such an .flv file, the recording owner (the Connect Admin user) must tie up their machine for as long as it take to play the recording, in order to create the downloadable version,
- most people don't know what to do with an .flv file (there are free players for it, but most don't have them installed),
- most really want an mp3, mp4, mov, or other format, and doing that would take still more work by the recording owner (or recording downloader) to create this yet other variant from each flv file recording, and finally
- as far as listing that downloadable file here, someone would then need to host the file in a location where anyone could access it (and bear the cost of serving it up), and then
- they'd need to add a link to that here. Most UG managers just will not bear all that effort.