Log Parser Resource Area (Last Updated: Aug 03, 2013)Welcome Charlie Arehart's Log Parser resource area, a vast resource list of tools on the LogParser (or "Log Parser", as it's formally known) tool. While the focus is to help CFML developers become familiar with the Log Parser tool, and ways to use it with ColdFusion and related technologies, non-CFML developers will also gain value from these resources.
This area will evolve as I expand it and add new resources. Some will be ones I create, while others will be located elsewhere.
- Fundamental Log Parser Resources
- My Own Log Parser Resources
- Learning More about Log Parser (articles and blog entries)
- Learning More about Log Parser (videos)
- Other Log Parser Resource Lists
- Bloggers writing a lot about Log Parser
- Log Parser GUIs
Fundamental Log Parser Resources
- Download the Log Parser tool, free from Microsoft
- Don't miss/dismiss the available help available after installing the tool. It has tremendously valuable information.
- Logparser Forums
- Microsoft Log Parser Toolkit, great book, available from the publisher Syngress and used from Amazon (like the tool itself, not updated in several years, but still so valuable)
My Own Log Parser Resources
- The best starting resource for a CF developer to get familiar with Log Parser may be my October 2006 CFDJ article, "Monitoring Your CF Environment with the Free Log Parser Toolkit".
- Users of FusionReactor will want to check out this page of LP commands I created (and others have added to): Log Parser commands for FR 3.
Learning More about Log Parser (articles and blog entries)I've found many more resources since I wrote the article above. Don't worry if some are a few years old. The Log Parser tool hasn't really changed much since 2003. That's ok, though. It does what it does well. Similarly, some of them focus on using it with things like ASP.NET, or MS Exchange, etc. Don't dismiss the articles, though. They may still discuss a feature that could benefit you.
- Troubleshooting IIS Performance Issues or Application Errors using LogParser
- How Log Parser 2.2 Works
- Log Parser Examples
- Analyzing Web Stats with Log Parser
- Jeff Atwood (Coding Horror)'s take on Log Parser
- Monitoring IIS Web Server with Logparser and the RRDtool
- Linux Lore: HOWTO use microsoft's logparser to analyze IIS logs with example sql/code
- Forensic Log Parsing with Microsoft's LogParser
- Fun with Log Parser
- Log Parser and ASP.NET
- Using the Logparser Utility to Analyze Exchange/IIS Logs
- Data Mining URLScan 3.x Logs using LogParser 2.2
- Analyzing IIS Log files using Log Parser â€“ Part 1
- LogParser scripts for various occasions...
- LogParser did it again: application pool recycle (nice use of LP against Event Viewer, and use of quantize
- Charting with LogParser (as this discusses, you need to install the Office Web Components on the machine running LP. But keep in mind that you can run LP from one machine against the logs on another.)
- LogParser, Event Logs, and Vista (how you need to convert Event files in Vista/2k8 to a copy in the older Event Log format to read in LP)
- Anatomy of a SQL Injection Incident, Part 2: Meat (his part 1 did not use LP)
- Analyzing Denial of Service Attacks
- Post-processing and Viewing IIS Request-Based Tracing Data (IIS 6.0)
- How To: IIS and Log Parser 2.2
Learning More about Log Parser (videos)
Other Log Parser Resource Lists
- Log Parser Plus, another meta resource site, with links to examples, articles, references
- Lizard Labs, the lower portion of this page about the LogParser Lizard tool does have a section pointing to many other LP resources
Bloggers writing a lot about Log Parser
- Never Doubt Thy Debugger Log Parser blog entries
- James Skemp's StrivingLife Log Parser blog entries
- Rahul Soni Log Parser blog entries
Log Parser GUIsThere are some available GUIs which can help process LP commands:
- Visual Log Parser, open source
- Log Parser Lizard, free and paid, from Lizard Labs
- Log Parser Studio, free, from Microsoft
- Log Parser Plus, free, from James Skemp, who offers the meta resource site of the same name